written by Charlie Razook, Founder
I founded Jackfir when I could not find a solution for my skincare concerns that did not contain harsh chemicals. I was spooked after a cancer diagnosis and upon further research discovered I was rubbing chemicals all over my body’s biggest organ, the skin. I had been using a traditional men’s brand that comes in a blue tube with a silver top (insert devious smile) and found out it was not nearly as clean as I thought when I combed through each ingredient. After countless hours of research, I decided to make my own brand for men that would provide effective results without any nasties.
Below are my recommendations for two types of men’s skincare routines: a) simple and b) complex. My skincare routine has always been pretty simple: 1) cleanse, 2) shave, 3) moisturize, 4) eye cream. Usually, I also add a 5) vitamin C serum to the mix. If you are just getting started, though, I recommend a one-two-three routine at a minimum. In the below video you will see my four-step, somewhere in between for everyone!
BEGINNER MEN’S SKINCARE ROUTINE
1) Cleanse. Cleansing helps prep the skin by assisting in removing gunk and impurities from the surface and pores. Cleansing also helps hydrate the skin. An exfoliating cleanser can help remove dead skin cells from the surface. I have heard many men say that since they have dry skin, they do not need to cleanse as it will dry it out more. That should not be the case with a gentle cleanser. This is a very important initial step.
2) Shave. Shaving is obviously functional for men—I don’t need to explain too much here, whether you are just touching up around a beard or shaving everything off. It can also have an exfoliating effect and remove dead skin cells and smooth the skin.
3) Moisturize. Moisturizing is incredibly important. It helps hydrate the skin and complements your body’s natural oil production. The right moisturizer also has anti-aging potential. I often hear from friends with oily skin that they don’t moisturize because they are prone to oiliness and acne. People with oily skin should also moisturize—it is a myth that they should not.
ADVANCED MEN’S SKINCARE ROUTINE
1) Cleanse. Same as above.
2) Shave. Same as above.
3) Serum. Serums (our favorite is a vitamin C serum) can help condition the skin, improve appearance and may have anti-aging benefits. Vitamin C serums can also help those with acne as it has anti-inflammatory properties. Serums are more lightweight than most moisturizers, so apply it and let it absorb before moisturizing.
4) Moisturize. Same as above.
5) Eye Cream. Eye creams usually are added to skincare routines as men age and notice wrinkles. We believe the earlier you start an eye cream the better (we recommend in your 20s) for prevention and conditioning the eye area. The skin near the eyes is thinner than most of the face. Consider an eye cream with peptides which help boost collagen production and thereby plumpness.
We at Jackfir believe less is more and the beginners’ option should be enough for many men, but everyone’s skin is different. While we try to make our products at Jackfir useable by everyone (meaning all skin types), do a spot test before using on your hand or arm to see how you like it and how your body responds. Cease use if redness or irritation occurs (though it shouldn’t, as we are allergy tested!).
Stay clean and leave no trace!
Founder of Jackfir